Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Oatmeal Hare and more

I know it sounds like the name of a health food store. But it's not! That's the name I've given to this Hare in this Freebie Finish. Yay, an actual finish! It's much nicer in person

Alphabet/with Hare
LA-D-DA freebie
36ct Summer Khaki linen
Belle Soie Poison Apple, Oatmeal

The freebie has the hare being the same color as the alphabet but I thought he/she should be another color, why not Oatmeal! This is a good sized design even stitching it on 36ct and it called for 32ct. I have a nice frame in my stash that would look very nice with this. I also just finished another freebie

Sweet as the Flower
Midsummer Night Designs freebie
32ct French Vanilla R&R linen
GAST Dried Thyme, Antique Rose, Apple Cider
Tiny little design, I added the '2012' xo in place of this-'dt to d't. The fabric is lighter in person, my camera is just not working good. It's the 18th of March already and it took me all that time to stitch up these two small designs! I've started on my third freebie already. Hopefully, I'll have that done by this time next week.
Hope you all had a great St. Patrick's Day! I actually have a smidgen of Irish in me, courtesy of two great-grandfathers. In honor of that I baked up a Soda Bread, my first time. I took the recipe off Allrecipes.com and tweaked it a little by just adding raisins. Since I've never tasted Soda Bread, I really don't know what kind of taste it should have. Here's my creation

It turned out allright. For dinner was a chicken breast/stuffing skillet also taken from Allrecipes and I ended up burning that. I salvaged the chicken breasts and the top portion of the stuffing but it all had a slight burnt taste to it. I blame the distraction on Facebooking with my friend of 32 years who lives in Wisconsin. She got me excited by telling me that she and her husband may be coming to Arizona in June for their 4th wedding anniversary. She still has family here. I haven't seen her in 18 or 19 years.

This past week, I got the discount shopping and yard saling bug and hit the road. I found this fabric and the 3 1/4 yards of trim at Hobby Lobby in their discount section. The trim was just $1.07, what a deal. And the fabric would look great with 4th of July stitching. I have freebies for that holiday too! I've just got freebies coming out of my orifices ears! And I sat here yesterday printing out even more!

Yesterday, I hit this estate sale that was offering stuff for half off. They must've sold a lot on Friday because when I got there, there wasn't much left. However, I left with a Christmas Wreath, a pretty one since I don't have one, a clip board to attach a pattern to, a Mayan calendar (I think) wall hanger, and this cute Hershey's Kisses tin that was made in England in 1982
I'll put buttons or something stitch related in there. All of that for $4.00! Then I raced home to catch the Pioneer Woman on the Food Network channel only to find I missed it by an hour because I forgot about the time change. We in Arizona, with one exception, don't change our clocks. Shucks! I love Pioneer Woman!
I had received a gift certificate from Barnes and Noble for Christmas and have just barely used it. My order came in this past week
I have become such a mystery fan that the top book and the bottom are mysteries. The top book by Craig Johnson is the first in a series that has become quite popular. It's set in Wyoming with the main character being a Sheriff who overlooks a large area and solves crimes. I lived in Wyoming for 6 months until the snow and snow drifts sent me packing back here to AZ! The bottom is of course the Egyptian series by Elizabeth Peters. And no, I didn't live in Egypt! I'm fascinated by everything Egypt though. These books are favorites of mine. And the main character is such a strong female and her favorite saying is "Another shirt ruined!". The middle book is called The Worst Journey in the World. It's about the Robert Falcon Scott expedition to the South Pole and what went wrong. It's pieced together with the accounts of the survivors of this expedition. I'm a big chicken and am just amazed at other people's attempts at doing incredible things!

And lo and behold, look what I woke up to today!
I know some of you haven't had the winters you're used to after reading your blogs. They had been talking about this big Pacific storm coming in this past week. On Friday it reached 70 degrees! In 24 hours, it started raining and overnight, snowing. It's been snowing on and off all day today. The sun came out just now for 10 minutes but has retreated again. It's supposed to snow more tonight which makes my daughter hope for a snow day tomorrow!
Here's another picture to remind you what snow looks like! I'm ready for spring and short-sleeve weather!
I'm fighting off the urge to start some new stuff. I've seen some bloggers stitching Christmas Garden and checking out their fabric choice. I'm not sure I want to stitch it on 30ct Sheep's Straw. I thinking a 32ct fabric. The one freebie I finished is stitched on French Vanilla and I like the color. I don't know, we'll see! I want to get through this month with these freebies, and then start stitching on the challenge starts. I just know I need to get some progress on those before I start stitching on my new stash. Decisions, Decisions!

Thank You for stopping by and spending time here and for your comments! I enjoy reading them. I'm coming up on 50 followers and thinking it's time for another giveaway! Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Snow!!! We didn't get any snow this year in Baltimore. I love your finishes, very well done.
    Sorry about your st patty's day dinner. I hate when I am cooking something good and it doesn't turn out as good as I think or when I get distracted and burn a perfect good dinner. It happens fairly often around here. lol

    Have a great Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leslie. The dinner smelled good and looked good before it started burning! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly, I passed along the Liebster award to you. I hope you don't mind. You can see my blog for more details.

    ReplyDelete