Sunday, September 9, 2012

Move over Martha Stewart!!

I used to idolize Martha Stewart about 16, 17 years ago. I subscribed to her magazine (expensive, I did that for only 2 years), I watched her show on t.v. and always said I wanted to be just like Martha. And now? I haven't watched any of her shows for many years or bought any of her magazines, new or old. So where I am going with this? I made Jelly!! Prickly Pear Jelly
Now isn't that a pretty color? Not syrup, as I read could happen, but jelly. Pretty labor intensive I tell ya! Early Saturday morn I went out and picked a bunch as I had read that in the morning is when sugar is high in plants. I soaked them for a couple hours and then that evening began. Here's what they looked like after soaking. These are leftovers from what I used. See the whitish dots? Those are little stickers and I mean little!
I have one in my finger that will work its way out soon! That tupperware bowl has been in this family for more than 20 years. See where it's been melted a little? No telling when we lost the lid. Back to jelly-I also have extra juice and will make more this week after I buy more sugar. It took 5 cups of sugar and was super sweet last night but when I opened a jar this morning, it tasted better like it's supposed to.

Thought I'd show you where I'm at now with the LK Mystery Sampler


I've worked on this off and on since Saturday. I've ordered Part 3 and should be getting that tomorrow!

I now have my partner and her info for the Fall into Halloween Exchange. She likes Halloween so it'll be easy to stitch for her. Along with the shipment from 123 Stitch (I love them!) are some Halloween designs and I have some ideas in mind for the stitched item.

I've seen an ad out for crafters for a craft fair November 2-4. I might give it a try after I get all the info like how much for the 3 days! With the economy being what it is, I'm just afraid of not making my space rental back. We'll see what happens.

That's all for now! Appreciate your comments as always and have a wonderful week!

8 comments:

  1. I love me some Prickly Pear! I couldn't get enough when we visted AZ a few years ago. That is one thing you can't get here on the east coast. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 2nd Blogoversary is comin' up, in December and I'll ad a jar to the giveaway. Be sure to keep that in mind!

      Delete
  2. I'ved never had Prickly Pear jelly before but I'll bet it's good. I know that making that stuff is labor intensive though. I made strawberry jelly for a couple years and then went back to buying it from the grocery store. But there is nothing better than homemade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! That was a lot of work for just 5 1/2 jars. It has a distinctive flavor that's for sure!

      Delete
  3. your mystery sampler is looking good - have fun with your exchange

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your L*K sampler looks wonderful! I really admire your jelly-making abilities! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete