Monday, July 21, 2014

A little distraction..the Questions!

Morning! Or Good Afternoon!

I've been seeing these questions pop up over the last few days so I thought I'd answer them too! I'm taking a small break, about to go check for mail and do some quick grocery buying. So here goes:

Q1: How did you start? Who introduced you to cross stitching?
I've always been crafty, doing mostly latch hook rugs and some very amateurish quilts. I had seen some simple stitching kits and picked up one. I think it was a Mill Hill beaded Christmas Tree kit. I am self-taught with the outcome of that kit answered on Question 14! I also stitched a lot of Jeremiah Junction stuff on 14ct Aida.

Q2: Favorite theme or Designer?
I would say Halloween with Christmas a close second. I have stitched a lot of LizzieKate so designer will have to be LizzieKate. Now I love Pineberry Lane, Stacy Nash, Plum Street Samplers, and of course, still LizzieKate.

Q3: What brand of floss do you use?
I mostly use DMC but I'll use overdyes for a pattern when called for. I love silks but they're kinda pricey for this budget minded gal!

Q4: What is your fabric of choice?
Linen, any color, 32 to 36 counts.

Q5: Do you use a needle threader or are you a floss licker?
Floss licker, lol!

Q6: What brand of stitching frame (or hoop or otherwise holder) do you use?
I just use Qsnaps or versions of them. I also hand stitch.

Q7: How many projects have you finished?
Hard to say as I sold a lot on eBay. When my computer kicked the bucket, I lost a bunch of pictures of my finished items. I'm going to guess about 50 projects, in various stages of finish.

Q8: How many completed works are hanging in your house?
Zero big items like framed samplers but I do have these
My collection of mini's. I'll have a entire wall of mini's eventually. All my own framing except the Kindness one at the far left which was professionally framed. I hang my ornaments up too.

Q9: Do you stitch for gifts or for yourself?
Mostly myself but some of the ornaments you see me finish go to other homes for Christmas. I also still sell a few on eBay every now and then.

Q10: Favorite finished cross stitch piece?
The Queen's Crowns by Plum Street Samplers
First time stitching with silks and on 36ct fabric. I stitched this while watching the London Olympics. I also stitched a Shepherds Bush angel some years back and sold on eBay. I wish I could have it back! It had beads and metallic threads on it. It was beautiful.

Q11: Worst experience whilst stitching?
I left a stitching unattended and my cats decided to frog it! I learned my lesson on that one!

Q12: What do you love and hate about cross stitch?
I enjoy the serenity it gives me. I'm a divorced single mother and the years of raising my daughter hadn't been easy. Stitching was and is my therapist! I'm not sure I hate anything about stitching. Maybe that it takes all of my attention and I let things go a little like dishes, housework!

Q13: Have you introduced anyone else to cross stitching?
Nah! My daughter didn't take to it but she sure likes Pinterest and has done some of the crafty things from it like covering her closet doors with that printed burlap
It's pretty neat in person. So I'm glad she's got some crafty in her! Other friends and family? Well, lets just say that they are either not crafty or consider stitching to be an old ladies thing!! Well, the nerve! Live and let live, right?!

Q14: The first project, did you finish it?
A resounding NO! Lol. I had stitches going every which way, bugle beads missing where there should've been, just a general mess! Tossed it.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! I've been feverishly stitching on the Primitive Hare SAL to get caught up as the second portion has been released. I have an ornament finish and have sat down at my sewing machine, finally. I'll be back with all that on the 26th for SFS.

Have a great week everyone!


6 comments:

  1. I hadn't seen these questions posted...very interesting to learn about a fellow blogger this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved learning more about you and your stitching Shelly.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this post. It's always fun to learn more about the people who you follow on their blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love getting to know you better through your questions and answers. I had fun thinking about them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an interesting thing to read all these Q&A about stitching. I can also say that I don't really hate anything about stitching. Of course, there are things and stitches that I love more than others but nothing I really hate.

    ReplyDelete