Thursday, January 14, 2016

Post

Hehe. I know..not a very original title! I'm flying solo so therefore I have to come up with titles of my own making! No Gifted Gorgeousness January or anything like that!

I have some progress to show on The Journey by LHN..
Perfect! Here's a picture that shows the real color of this fabric. It looks like slate as I wanted it to look like. I think it's WDW Beige. I went kind of crazy on the horse though! The right side is stitching left to right and to the left I manipulated the colors of the thread and skipped about creating the half circles and such. 

Here's how it looked before

Journey has been put aside though to work on a Halloween ornament that is three quarters done.

Last year I recall reading a blog in which the blogger bought these portfolios to keep her finished but not framed stitching in to protect them. I finally bit the bullet and bought me a portfolio at Hobby Lobby and here is what I've done with it..
As you can see, it's a big one and can fit a 13" x 18" project in one side with about one or two inches of fabric sticking out at the top. It uses archival, acid-free paper.
As you can see, the LHN design sticks out at the top a bit. It cost $18.99 I believe and would've been a little cheaper with the 40% off coupon. I love it! I didn't really have a place to store these bigger pieces and now I can keep them flat and protected.

Four years ago, on my birthday at the end of January, my gall bladder was removed. I had a follow up with the surgeon and then my family doc wanted to see me. That was 4 years ago. Fast forward to now, I'm falling asleep at work, the kind where your eyelids get heavy and you jerk yourself awake, mood swings are absolutely crazy, ask my daughter! I finally went to see a doctor and boy oh boy, am I messed up. The diagnosis? Hypothyroidism, diabetic, cholesterol out of this world. Yikes! I've been pleasantly plump my entire life, flirting with the pre-diabetic label for years. Now I've crossed the line. I'm not on insulin because my numbers are just above the cut-off point and doc thinks my efforts to lower my bad cholesterol will probably lower my blood sugar numbers. I'm taking cholesterol pills and thyroid meds and I have not tried to fall asleep at work! It's been a wake up call and I joined up with Lose It! It's a weight loss app and it working wonders! I was with Weight Watchers before. Change is good! I've lost almost 7 lbs so far and I'm either doing the exercise bike or low impact aerobics. I had been warned about diabetes because I'm an American Indian and we have a higher incidence of Type 2 diabetes. I'm grateful for the insurance I have through work and my bills haven't been all that big. What's next? A mammography and a colonoscopy. Eww! I'll have the rear end thing done after this month, lol!

What else is new? I'm returning to college! This time for a certificate in Medical Records Technology which could open doors for me to get into Coding. School starts on Tuesday, next week, and my two classes are online. So I'm quite excited for that. I'm ready to get out of what I'm doing now, electronic assembly. Change is good as I said!

How's that for an update?!

Harry Potter-The Order of The Phoenix is on soon. I'm sure you've heard Alan Rickman died today? He played Severus Snape in the Potter movies, among others. I almost felt like crying when I heard. I've read the books and have watched the movies umpteen times. We've had some celebrities pass away this month, it's scary. Take care everyone. Glad you stopped in!

18 comments:

  1. Wow Shelly. I'm glad to hear that you went to the doctor and are taking care of yourself. Lovely stitching and the horse looks great.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that was so sad! You should check out the tributes fans did at universal in the wizarding world of Harry Potter. Congrats on losing the weight! That's awesome! I'm planning on starting a diet exercise program soon too as soon as I have the money for a gym membership. Your stitching looks great I love how the horse turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the portfolio...I may look into that myself. Take care of yourself....glad you are dong well with the diet/exercise plan. Lovely stitching....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that your health issues seem to have been caught in time. Your horse looks lovely!
    Very sad about Alan Rickman. I am reading the books to my young sons at bedtime and we are almost finished - seemed even more poignant last night reading about Snape's memories. Rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea about the portfolio.
    Will have to look into this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of changes for you! Good job with the 7 pounds!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear that your health issues seem to have been caught in time. Your horse looks lovely!
    Very sad about Alan Rickman. I am reading the books to my young sons at bedtime and we are almost finished - seemed even more poignant last night reading about Snape's memories. Rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hypothyroidism is pretty serious. I got diagnosed with it as well a few years ago and after doing some research I couldn't believe how many of the symptoms I had. Watch your eating habits and try to cut out sugar (especially white) and food with preservatives.

    RIP Alan Rickman :( I still can't believe the news.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use the Lose It app and I love it. I am diabetic too, and have mine set to count carbs so it's a great tool for me. I was diagnosed on 10/27/00 and have not had to be on any kind of medication to date. I'm so fortunate that I've been able to control it with diet and exercise. I'm proud of you for your weight loss and for taking charge of your health!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the portfolio and your projects. Take care of yourself; by the way, the prep for the colonoscopy is worse than the procedure itself, depending on what they give you for the prep! Take care and happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh! That was a lot of different diagnoses in one go! Hopefully lifestyle changes will help - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like 2016 will be the year of changes for you, Shelly!! Good for you for taking your health into your own hands and working to change your future. I was just diagnosed with high cholesterol, too, but they are giving me 6 months to try to get it down a bit. The thing is I am very thin--115 pounds and eat healthy every day... Not much I can do, it is just in my genes from my mom. Sigh... I really don't want to do the statin thing, but I may have to.

    Really love your stitching and the funky horse :) And you may have seen that portfolio thing on my blog last year. I just love mine and was flipping through it just yesterday :) So nice to have the things laying flat and staying protected until I eventually decide what to do with them (if I EVER decide!)...

    Happy New Year to you, Shelly, and good luck with school and your health!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for doing your blog. I enjoy dropping by to see your beautiful stitching. I'm sorry to hear you've had health problems, but it's great that you are making positive changes. Would love to hear more about your AI tribe (if you care to share) & life in AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have lots of news. I hope you feel better soon. Good for you for taking charge. I need to follow your example and loose some weight! Your design is so pretty and just perfect for Arizona. We are all sad about Snape!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yikes! Very scary news, but I how you'll feel better soon and have more energy. The horse looks cool! And great idea about the portfolio.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your stitching on the horse is lovely! And the portfolio seems to be a great way to take care of stitching until you decide what to do with it! So sorry to hear about all the health stuff, but it seems you're getting it all taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your Stitching Photos...they are great....I love your WIP....I love their patterns. Great Progress. The Portfolio is a beautiful idea...I never thought of doing mine like that.

    Sorry to hear about all of your health problems....hope that you start to feel better soon.

    Happy Stitching
    Linda K, Railroad

    ReplyDelete