Saturday, May 30, 2015

Late Gifted Gorgeousness, a quandary

Hi all!

I'm finally feeling much better, thank you. We took our trip to Phoenix and because of the almost 3,000 feet in elevation change from where I live to Phoenix, I couldn't get my ears to pop! On top of that, my right ear was already plugged because of my cold. Pretty comical. I could hardly hear Craig Johnson when he told us some stories but he was quite funny and I got to talk to him and get his John Hancock..
After that, we had lunch at the Rainforest Cafe where it feels and sounds like you are in a real rainforest with the jungle, animated elephants, apes, and the like. The sky, the ceiling, also changes from night to day and thunderstorms. Pretty cool!

Here's my next Gifted Gorgeousness or GG project. I won this from Frances just last month along with more PS charts and other goodies. Here it is..
Chart called for 32ct Lambswool linen but I didn't have any pieces big enough. So I'm using this 32ct mystery fabric. It's got the gray mottling with white. I had my reservations about using this but now I'm liking how its looking! I bought the fabric from Shakespeare's Peddler's etsy store. I tried to go there for the name of this fabric but her site is down.

And here is my Summer 2015 start, A Bee in your Bonnet by Summerhouse Stitche Works. With a name like that, this had to be my summer project. But I have a little problem, hence the quandary. This calls for 32ct WDW Beige linen. For the life of me, I can't find this in 32ct. So I bought a 30ct piece. Chart calls for 1 over 2 for 32ct. My 30ct looks huge and my thread isn't giving me a lot of coverage. Take a look..
The U is done with 2 strands and the Y and O are with one strand. Looking at it here, the 1 over doesn't look bad but in person, it looks pretty sparse. I almost feel the fabric was mislabeled a 30ct. The U just looks so thick and I just know I'll run out of thread. Too bad I couldn't use 1 and a half strands! Now that would be splitting hairs (or floss)! Here's what the cover looks like..
I'll revisit that one later.

I've been stitching in the evenings before bed on Salem Sisters by PSS. I was going crazy last weekend stitching on 3 ornaments and not getting anywhere. So I decided to work on a larger WIP and just stitch on it until its done..
Those white splotches are what's behind. This is what I have now and here is before..
So far, this plan of mine to stitch til done is working out. 

Summer has definitely arrived. Supposed to get to 80 today. I'm watching a Harry Potter marathon in between blogging and housework. 

On another note, I'm so proud of myself. I haven't bought a single stitch-related item this entire month! I may not need Stitch from Stash for the next 6 months. Yay for me!

Time to go. Thank you ladies and maybe the stray man, for stopping in and leaving comments. And a big hearty Welcome to new followers, here and on Bloglovin. My early blogging days, I mostly talked to myself! So glad you're all here!

11 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to enjoy your trip despite your ears. The rain forest cafe sounds like a great place to eat and relax. Kudos for keeping on with your stitching. Just a thought - perhaps you could stitch with 1 1/2 strands after all by using one on the bottom leg of the X and then crossing it with two. That would eliminate a bit of the thickness as well as the stress on the holes. It might work! Hope you come up with a solution that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rainforest cafe :). I also love your designs but especially sisters. I just finished reading the Harry Potter books last night I need to watch the movies again the next time I have a couple days off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new starts Shelly and great progress on your other projects.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have so many wonderful projects going. I know what you mean about the coverage. I think it is really a matter of taste. My DH (who has to live with my designs) likes it when I have rather dense coverage so I use 2 threads on 30 or 32 ct.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great projects. I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fabric for the Praire Schooler design, I think it's a better contrast then the beige.
    I would use two strands in 30 count. I have only used 30 count once, preferring 32 count where the coverage using two stands is perfect. I'm currently stitching a project on 40 count using one strand and even then it's looking a little thin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful projects. Our temperature is already in the 90s here in The Valley. Staying cool indoors today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely stitching, love all your projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you're stitching the PS! I love Prairie Schooler and this one is so cute! fun
    It's hot, humid, and muggy here in MS, and will probably stay that way until October/November!!! ugh
    I love Rainforest Cafe! I can't remember where I went to it but it was so much fun! I love the bar stools that
    are like animal bottoms! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work Shelly. These are such a lovely patterns.

    ReplyDelete