Thursday, July 2, 2015

Some progress, some stash

Hi all!

Here we are on the cusp of another 4th of July, in the halfway point of the year. It has been hot here which explains my header picture! Last week before our Monsoon rains came in with a bang, the temps had been around the high 90s. It was just torture! So I thought I'd put up a picture of something cold. This isn't where I live. It looks like it may be the Swiss Alps maybe?! I don't know but it feels great to see that.

So onto progress..
Salem Sisters by PSS, my evening stitch. I haven't stitched on her because my pole lamp I use for stitching busted its last bulb Sunday and I haven't been able to find the bulbs. Since I've begun my 5 day weekend today, I'll be putting in some more kitty heads which makes up the border on the bottom. I'm almost done! This will be my 13th DUCJ/FSAL finish. Yay!

Here's where Sisters was before..

My summer stitch is this, Bee in Your Bonnet..
This will be so pretty when it's done. I had to make a change to the light over dyed thread. Chart called for GAST Oatmeal but it pretty much disappeared into the fabric. So I hauled out every light colored over dyed thread I had and guess what worked? Good ole' DMC Blanc! All it's for is the trim around the crown and the honeycomb one of which is being stitched there at the bottom of Bonnet. Love the colors going in here in this section. Below is what I had before..

Here's my very first start of DUCJ/FSAL. I just recently picked the poor thing back up. Here's where I'm at now..
This is Ambiance Automnale by Danybrod. It finally got it's very first ironing. I believe the fabric is Sandcastle maybe or something like that. I really like the splotches of pinkish/beige color. So I've made some changes on this. The crows body took black and light gray DMC. I'm using GAST Black Crow, appropriate, huh?! His beak is steel gray DMC. The orangey flowers which may be Bittersweet? got their own change from DMC which I didn't have, to an overdyed thread of some kind, can't remember! The witchy boot will be black DMC, see below on the chart. Last time I stitched on this I had just the crows head. So there's been progress!

Well, I up and joined Stitch from Stash 2015-B, which started on the 1st. I'll try and make it to December this year! I liked the idea of earning virtual $$. It's nice incentive to finish more. The past two months I hadn't bought any stitchy stuff. Yay for me, until the last week of June when it looked like I wouldn't have any patriotic stitching done. I tend to stitch a lot of Easter, Halloween and Christmas things. I don't have any patriotic charts so I bought this chart..
I saw this when it first came out and just thought Wow, that's a lot of stitching on that whale! But looking at it a second time, that whale really grows on you! I've found some patriotic freebies here and there, with the help of Frances and her Independence tree. I'll be prepared next year! 

That's pretty much it! Those 3 WIPs I have next to my stitching corner of the couch (I've put in a big hole here. A new couch is in order, I think!) and they're the ones I've been working on lately. I'll continue my search for bulbs for my stitching lamp in the meantime!

Happy 4th to all you Americans! Have a nice weekend to those of you who aren't! Thanks for stopping by!

13 comments:

  1. Love all the projects. The monsoon storms here in the Valley have been crazy and are still in the upper temps

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really have some great stitching. I do love Salem Sisters as well as all the others you are doing! It is 10:00 here and very hot, I love the header!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great WIPs, I especially love your Salem Sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful projects to be working on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pic does look inviting...so over hot weather! Great stitching happening. I really like the Bee in Bonnet and think I need to pull it out. Happy 4th and stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pic does look inviting...so over hot weather! Great stitching happening. I really like the Bee in Bonnet and think I need to pull it out. Happy 4th and stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keeping an eye on that Bee in Your Bonnet WIP... I love it! Happy Independence Day to you! (Just noticed your map of where you've visited and that you haven't been to Texas... oh, honey, get down there quick! ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't worry the whale will grow on the fabric as well LOL sorry couldn't help myself ;). Lovely stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice progress on your WIPs. I also have the Salem Sisters but haven't started them yet. Great header indeed. I'd also love to be somewhere cool but wouldn't go as far as being surrounded by snow, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice progress on your stitching. I enjoy Patriotic designs, too.

    The weather here has been in the mid 70's to 80's. Not too bad, but we've had the wettest June since forecasters have been recording weather for this area... the 1800's!

    Hope you had a good 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's HOT and HUMID in Mississippi!!! (what else would you expect??!!)
    I love all of your stitching projects! Great colors on them!
    I'm not much on whales, but I really like this chart! I saw another whale somewhere else, and liked it, too! Maybe my taste is changing!!!
    So glad you got some freebies from my links--they were really cute and quick! You'll have a tree full in no time! And you can always fill in with little flags!!! (I saw some red white and blue balls in a magazine--that would be a good filler!! I have to remember this)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have so many cute WIPs, Shelly--really love the Danybrod one and the fabric you've chosen is perfect!

    Had to laugh at your header photo--I KNEW it didn't look like that in AZ :) We have had rainy cool weather this summer--kind of depressing :(

    ReplyDelete