Tuesday, December 27, 2016

2017 plans, a last finish, and other stuff

Hi everyone! Better get comfortable, grab a drink or something because I've been talking to cats for the last day and a half!

Hope your Christmas was magical with family, friends, and food! Mine was particularly wonderful, partly because of this..

Yup, a white Christmas, yay! Although I can live without the white stuff, you just gotta have a white Christmas. My brothers came up Christmas Eve morning to avoid the snow and it was great to see them. They live in Phoenix. And...my gift that my daughter bought me that brought tears to my eyes...

Works like a charm. I also received chocolate, lottery tickets, and gift cards but this...! I fired it up yesterday and made this..

An ornament that I stitched up earlier this year. My cord-making went haywire. I cannot make cording to save my life! I have watched Vonna's video on cord-making and this is what I end up with ^. So I improvised and sewed it on the top and hung a skeleton key on the end and made a tassel. It's back to the drawing board for making cord. One of my New Years resolutions, to master this. Ha. But it's just great to have a sewing machine again. I never took my old one in to be checked and fixed. 

Here we go....I joined Honeybee's (Copper Fox) little sal The Keeping Christmas Project to stitch ornaments. I had my first finish in September and as of last week, ended up with 7 ornaments. Here is the very last one...A Sprig of Holly, from the Primitive Punchneedle and Cross Stitch, I think?

On 32ct, 1 over 2. Love her dress with the the eyelet stitch at her waist and the satin stitch spool to the right. All of these ornaments I'll FFO them next year.

I also had another finish last week, the last one for 2016. Little Lamb by Kathy Barrick...

It's a small design, fits a 8" sq. frame. I stitched in the reins at the last. Does anyone see Rudolph and his red nose? I think Santa was giving his reindeer a night off! 

Total finishes for 2016 comes to 37! Woohoo! Two of those finishes were exchange gifts and are gone. Some of these finishes have been FFO'd already, or need it, or need framing. I'll do all that next year.


Remember I won a gift card from Brian (Blitstitch) from flosstube? Well, here is what I used it on..

Overdye's to kit up some projects, two LHN designs that have been on my wish list for months, and the Mardi Gras silks for a sal that I've joined for February or March. 

Uh, what next? Oh. Here are my plans for 2017. I reserve the right to chuck it all and do what I want! I have 4 or 5 definite projects to do and here they are: 

Frosty Forest by CCN
I just need to get the DMC's together. This is my New Year's day stitch. Somewhere down the line I will add a border on this, just like Jeannie at Willow Tree Stitcher did on hers. I don't have a link but some of you may know what it looks like. I may tweak a few borders from other CCN or LHN charts for my border. Just hope I have enough fabric for that!

Classic Christmas Charm by Barbara Ana, found in 3 issues of Cross Stitch and Needlework mags..
I wasn't too sure about this called for fabric, Milk Chocolate, but after the floss toss, decided it won't be too bad. I'll do half of the border starting from the upper left and then start stitching the inner white and green blocks. I'm thinking of a week spent on each new start. Next up are two Primitive Hare designs, Christmas Carol Sampler and Ichabod Crane Inn, all ready to start..

As for WIPs, these are what I'm stitching on..
Top to bottom: Jacks Bash by PSS, Blackwater Hollow by Stacy Nash, Vintage Stars by Jeannette Douglas, A Bee in your Bonnet by Summerhouse Stitcheworkes, and last but not least- Christmas Garden by BBD. Vintage Stars is the oldest WIP here. Wish me luck..

I run with the Stitch Maynia crowd on FB and have joined a couple of SAL's through Maynia, a Mardi Gras style one in February I think, and an M sal which is stitch on something that starts with the letter M, or a designer or subject matter. That's in March. I also joined a Stitch from Stash on FB. 

If you can believe it, I'm still waiting on Cricketbugs chart and fabric for winning my giveaway! Everything she gets she can use for next Christmas! I emailed her a couple weeks ago and this was her response:

             I am having the same problems! It's like it's Christmas or something 

Lol. She's too funny! Like it's Christmas, indeed! I'll have to time the giveaway next year a little better. The problem is the dyed linen coming from Dames of the Needle. Well, dame- it! Just kidding!

On the 10th of this month, my daughter and I were supposed to fly to Chicago but after the last two months of a kitty death, auto breakdown, and various other mishaps, we had to cancel:((
But....that weekend it was below zero up there! We dodged that bullet! I really wanted to see the Christkindle market and eat Chicago deep dish pizza. So before the tickets expire in June, we have decided to go back to New Orleans in March. Weather wise, a huge extreme. It'll be after Mardi Gras and the room prices will go back down somewhat. 

I believe that's it! Whew. Hopefully, you made it to the end with me. I will continue to stitch an ornament or two a month. I'll be busy for sure. I have 31 WIPs and hope to whittle that down by this time next year. 

Followers and lurkers, I just want to say Thank You for hanging with me throughout the entire year! Thank you for your comments, for your words of sympathy on the death of E.T., for commiserating with me on my wacky health which I might add is much better. Helps to lose 20 pounds here in the last 3 months, not diabetic anymore. I appreciate each and everyone of you. Wishing you a 
and a year of great health, lots of new stash, peace, and new beginnings! See you next year!

22 comments:

  1. Wow! That was quite a post, Shelly!! First of all--congratulations on your new sewing machine! That was so sweet of your daughter. I'm sure you're having a lot of fun testing out all the various stitches...

    So many beautiful finishes and projects--not sure how you keep all of them straight. I'm so sorry you are still having an issue with the cording :(

    And I'm so, so envious of your white Christmas. We had absolutely nothing white up here and that makes two years in a row--I can't believe you had some in AZ and we didn't!

    Wishing you a lovely new year--sounds like you have some great plans :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy weather! I have zig zagged all my fabric, made two more project bags, yes I'm having fun with this new machine. Thanks Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Christmas goodies, great finishes, great WIPS, great future projects! This kind of post makes me happy--just chock full of stitchy goodness! :O) Will be looking forward to seeing you work on Ichabod Crane. I stitched that one and it's now in the "to frame" pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post Shelly. Glad to hear your health is better. I'm sure mine would be if I could lose alot of weight. Love all of projects and stitching goals for next year. I'm still deciding on mine. Great finishes. I love the Classic Christmas Charm design. Can you tell me what issues their in?

    Happy New Year,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you see this, Linda. The issues are Sept. 2014, Nov. 2014, and Jan 2015. The graph for the framework (borders) is found in the Sept. issue. I'll be looking forward to your 2017 stitching.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you had a great Christmas. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a great Christmas. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snow for Christmas, that's great. We were in sunny Alabama with temps in the low 70's. Not my preference but being with our son, DIL, and two wonderful grand children, who really cares about temps on the 70's. I love all the projects. I keep looking at Jack's Bash but I am worried about the over one. I do wish you a wonderful year with loads of stitching!! Super of your DD to get you that sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic Christmas for you!!! A white one, a new sewing machine (your daughter is a gem) and some beautiful little crosses :) Love the new stash too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great gift from your daughter! I know you will put it to good use. I'm glad you're enjoying the snow. Down here in Surprise all we had was cold!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! So glad you got a new sewing machine, that was a brilliant gift. I've managed to actually get mine out and use it. DH was able to teach me a little bit and I made a huge project bag to keep my scroll frames, so that was a good test piece. Congrats on so many finishes and I'm looking forward to seeing your NO photos again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am funny - dame it!! Lol that made me laugh! I love vintage Stars! I have that Christmas Charm in my stash - it's a cutie!! Great Christmas gift - and snow? What a lucky gal!! Happy New Year to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really? You had snow? Cool!
    You've got some great projects going.
    And great picks for the New Year.
    I think your daughter gave you the bestest gift. :)
    Enjoy your new machine.
    I love your disclaimer of having the right to chuck it all. LOL
    Wishing you a Happy, Healthy New Year.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merry Christmas Shelly! I miss having a white Christmas now that I live in FL. I want to move back up north (my kids miss it, too!), but hubby likes the tropical lifestyle. :) Your finishes and WIP's are so pretty. Enjoy your new stash!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like the perfect Christmas - snow and a new sewing machine! I must get Frosty Forest out again, I started it in 2014 and really love it. You have some great new stash there.
    Wishing you a very happy 2017 filled with lots of stitching time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the new sewing machine. Lots of beautiful stitching; thanks for sharing. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Christmas post! Wishing you all the best in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely post. Happy New Year Shelly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay snow for Christmas! You got some great gifts! And even bigger yay for losing weight and getting rid of the diabetes! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New Year Shelly! Congrats on shedding 20 lbs and double congrats on not being diabetic anymore. Great stitching plans for 2017!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow...it was so lovely of your daughter to get you the Brother Sewing Machine...that was awfully sweet and thoughtful of her to get you that for Christmas. Your Ornament is so pretty...I love this.

    I just love all of your WIP's that you are working on...they are so lovely. I love the Jack Bash WIP...the colors are so vibrant and so pretty and they really stand out on your Fabric.

    Your Stash that you got is going to be wonderful...all of the Fabric and the Patterns...wow....I can't wait til I see your progress on them.

    Happy Stitching xx
    Linda K

    ReplyDelete