Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Tears






On Sunday, June 30th, 19 firefighters of the Granite Mountain Hotshot crew out of Prescott, AZ. were killed when an out of control wildfire backed up on them, forcing them to deploy their shelters. The fire had the upper hand.

I have been a wreck since we heard about this Sunday. My emotions are right on the edge and I'm reduced to tears whenever I see a news report, drive by the memorial. I would see them about town doing their business, riding in their white trucks. It feels like we've lost family members. This whole area where I live is just devastated. You go to the grocery store, etc. and the environment is just so heavy. Turns out their headquarters is less than a football field from where I work. The makeshift memorial outside against the fence has grown quite large now. My daughter and I went to see it Monday and left some flowers.

This to me feels like another 9/11, but on a smaller scale. I don't want to downsize the magnitude of 9/11. It's just that I can't wrap my brain around the loss of 19 individuals and I couldn't do that back on 9/11 for all those who died either.

My daughter and I returned home from the big 4th of July rodeo in Prescott tonight where they honored the fallen firefighters. I couldn't sleep so I thought I'd post my thoughts and get them out of my head. You know, writing stuff is just as therapeutic as stitching. I have done a little stitching though.

I'm going to hit the sack now, got to be up in 4 hours. I feel like sleeping now! Take care and hug your loved ones a little tighter.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

  1. I am so very sorry for the loss of such brave men in your community. It must be devastating for their families and friends. My heart goes out to you. Irene xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of us in Arizona are keeping Prescott in our hearts and weep with you. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I live down in Surprise, AZ I share your sorrow. On Monday as we were running an errand, Grand Ave (US 60) had a Surprise officer or Maricopa Co officer at every intersection with lights flashing awaiting the caravan carrying the firefighters to the ME office in Phoenix. It was so moving. The people of Prescott and Yarnell and the families of the fallen are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so horrible that I can't hardly stand to hear anything about it. I was watching one of the wives on GMA and I had to turn because my heart couldn't take it. My heart and many,many prayers go out to the families and anyone affected by this.

    ReplyDelete