Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Big Easy

Greetings from a sultry New Orleans evening! Yes, I am in New Orleans! I can't believe it myself! So my daughter and I flew here last Sunday morning. I've always wanted to visit for the Mardi Gras festivities and we got our opportunity.

It is so unbelievably humid here. Coming from Arizona where it's dry, we landed with 75 degree weather and 68 degree humidity. You could feel it in the air as we got closer. And we flew over a swampy area, first time seeing a swamp! We got ourselves a taxi and had to be dumped off two blocks away from our B & B because of a parade. So cool.

Three days into our vacay and what strikes me is there's a lot of water here! We in Arizona could sure use some lol. Here are some pics of our first three days...
The Colorado River has nothing on the Mississippi! Just huge!

We took an excursion on a paddle wheel boat and went downriver to the Chalmette Battlefield.
We came off the boat and listened to a very knowledgeable guide talk about the battle. Interesting.

And it was so windy on the boat. My daughter and her hair flying.

And we got to see these two Navy ships.

We also went on a ghost tour which was spooky good!

Today we jumped on a bus for a plantation tour. Here are some pics from that trip..
Oak Alley Plantation. What a beautiful place. Oak trees that are more than 200 years old. I might add that it was drizzling while here but it was still in the 70s. We took the tour inside..
Then we went outside to see the slave cabins..
And a not so antique cat! It's real but sleeping.


And I had to have a Mint Julep!
Which went straight to my head! I could only drink half of it though!

On the way to Oak Alley we passed by another plantation house. Beautiful. Also the fields behind these houses were just immense with most of them being sugar cane fields back in the old days. There are still patches of sugar cane being grown out in this area.

We also passed over the Mississippi again
Just amazing to me to see those huge ships floating along.

To close the evening, we stopped and had beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe du Monde with some jazz musicians playing on the sidewalk and powdered sugar flying everywhere. We then hopped aboard a carriage for a tour through Bourbon St. and some other interesting places. He agreed to drop us off at our place. We've really put some mileage on our feet so far and will add more tomorrow.

On the itinerary tomorrow is a tour through St. Louis #1 cemetery with the mausoleums above ground and two parades where we're hoping to collect a whole bunch of beads. We have ridden on a streetcar, a carriage and taxis. I didn't rent a car because I figured that most things were within walking distance, and they were. 

We have just tomorrow, we leave at 1:00 pm Louisiana time Thursday for Phoenix and back home to our kitties who I have missed. A cousin goes to the house to keep the cats food and water dishes going. I'm looking forward to stitching again too!  I'll post more pictures tomorrow of our cemetery tour and the parade.

Take care and hope you enjoyed my travelogue, lol!

15 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post. The plantations are beautiful! It looks like you are having a great time. I hope you get lots of beads. We were in Mobile one year for Mardi Gras. It's big there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy I adore Nola! If you have a chance you should look into the boos and booze ghost tour. The guide is really great! Have fun and don't forget to update your map!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures are beautiful. I have to plan a trip. I have never been.

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Orleans is one of my favorite places! Enjoy the rest of your stay. The cemeteries are so fascinating. Food, music, plantations, cemeteries, parades... what's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome trip! I've never been to New Orleans, so I'm enjoying it through your eyes. Good time to be gone, it's cold here in Phoenix right now. Enjoy the rest of your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to New Orleans, but want to go SO BADLY!!! :-) Thanks for sharing your pictures and memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recap of your wonderful trip. I have never been to New Orleans, but now I want to go!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing trip Shelly. I loved all of the pictures. I have not been further east than Nevada.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! That looks like a lot of fun so far and such a different environment for you too with the humidity. I hope you have a safe trip home and you don't get the cold shoulder from the cats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you got the opportunity to go!
    I bet it's a lot of fun.
    I would've loved the ghost tour. :)
    Thanks for sharing the pics, can't wait to see more.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your New Orleans photos are great, Shelly--they brought back some fun memories of our trip about 20 years ago. Really loved seeing the plantations and the graveyards when we were there along with hearing the great jazz music. Yep, our humidity in the east is horrid! Would not miss it at all if I were to move to a drier climate :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just started following your blog and enjoying it immensely. I was in New Orleans once on St Patrick's Day, watching a parade when I was hit in the head by a flying cabbage from one of the floats! Still had a great time and remains one of my best vacations ever. Safe travels back home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. New Orleans is a wonderful place. I grew up 1 1/2 hours from there and we visited very often! It's like no other place around!!!
    As a child, we went to Mardi Gras every Fat Tuesday, for the Rex parade. It was so much fun. I haven't been to Mardi Gras in years!!! But I have wonderful memories.
    Our humidity in the South is unbelievable. The air can be so heavy it's hard to breathe!!
    Looks like you had a fabulous trip and saw many of the great things. I was there about a year ago, and we like to just sit and watch people! What a place!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know if you'll see this but yes, I loved it there! Don't know if I could get used to the humidity though. While waiting for the first parade, we watched people. How lucky that you live nearby! It's a crazy place and I can imagine that it's even crazier right on Fat Tuesday.

      Delete
  14. New Orleans is a wonderful place. I grew up 1 1/2 hours from there and we visited very often! It's like no other place around!!!
    As a child, we went to Mardi Gras every Fat Tuesday, for the Rex parade. It was so much fun. I haven't been to Mardi Gras in years!!! But I have wonderful memories.
    Our humidity in the South is unbelievable. The air can be so heavy it's hard to breathe!!
    Looks like you had a fabulous trip and saw many of the great things. I was there about a year ago, and we like to just sit and watch people! What a place!!

    ReplyDelete